Mold Department Team Lead APPLY NOW
Team Lead Position Summary
Essential Team Lead Duties:
- Facilitate and assist in manufacturing new molds/dies to meet production demand for existing and new products, to the highest quality.
- Ensure daily production schedules are followed and production goals/deadlines are met.
- Develop and enforce production protocols in department.
- Maximize department productivity by multitasking between administrative work, management of team members, and performing departmental tasks.
- Assign daily tasks for department members, indicating priority items and down time tasks.
- Work collaboratively with other departments to ensure that schedules and priorities are compatible and that a quality product is being produced.
- Flag and help trouble shoot issues with team to find solutions.
- Work in conjunction with team members to perform routine maintenance on all machinery and equipment including but not limited to various sanders, microscopes, plaster lathes, purge unit and HMI, cont’d on last page.
- Follow and enforce all safety rules and practices.
- Spearhead and engage team in all process improvement exercises (5S).
- Identify areas needing improvement (safety, quality, efficiency) within department and make suggestions to Production Supervisor.
- Maintain and encourage good housekeeping in the department.
- Monitor inventory of consumables and departmental supplies and reorder, as necessary.
- Send EOD report to update Production Supervisor and all necessary administrative responsibilities.
- Facilitate interdepartmental cross-training on a regular basis.
- Complete team member training as necessary or for ongoing purposes. Train and coach any new team members for department skills and efficiencies providing effective feedback and coaching in a 30/60/90-day schedule.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Duties of Department:
- Maintain up-to-date version of the departments Training Manual.
- Manufacture new molds/dies to meet production demand for existing and new products, to the highest quality including but not limited to sculpting and producing master and working dies for hydraulic presses and master molds for slip casting.
- Understand how to create and analyze diagrams including but not limited to: - form cross-sections, product layouts/schematics, formulaic expressions, orthographic views, and results of product or material testing.
- Ensure mold room operates in an efficient and productive manner at all time by maintaining equipment
- Flag and assist troubleshooting faulty equipment, products, materials, etcetera.
- Sculpt models/prototypes using various materials, techniques, and machinery.
- Be flexible with the implementation of new production procedures and be prepared to adapt to an everchanging environment.
- Follow and enforce all safety rules and practices.
- QC work at every stage of the mold making and production process.
Requirements of Department:
- Minimum of an associate degree and 2-5 years of experience in a production setting are encouraged, field of ceramics preferred.
- Manufacturing, CAD/CAM, parametric modeling, sculpting, and ceramics experience is preferred.
- Possess a basic understanding of geometry, physics, and calculus.
- Knowledge in the fields of industrial design, engineering, and mathematics is beneficial.
- Must be able to be on your feet 8 hours a day and lift/maneuver 50-200+ pounds daily.
- Be prepared to work with rubber, clay, plaster, gypsum cement, foam, wax, and adhesives.
- Be considerate of working areas and pieces of equipment; keep them clean and safe.
- Be prepared to operate lift equipment on a regular basis. Forklift training is preferred.
- Commitment to a safe workplace following ALL safety protocols.
- Basic computer skills are necessary.
Team Lead Expectations:
- Communicate effectively with team members.
- Delegate tasks: explain what is to be done, how you think it should be done, and the reason for doing the job in the first place
- Set daily expectations: provide clearly defined goals and deadlines and confirm that team members understand directions clearly
- Collaborate when possible: when delegating, invite questions from the team and be open to suggestions as to how to go about tackling a task. Delegating is most effective when it can be done in a way that makes the team member walk away feeling invested/having a sense of ownership
- Take initiative to meet with other department leads regarding production concerns and potential solutions; share the information with floor supervisors once a course of action is determined.
- Use production schedule and keep an internal attendance calendar to determine approval of team member PTO requests.
- Cross-training: factor training of all team members into your department’s schedule whenever possible. Keep a checklist of what your team members need training on and update as completed.
- Regularly check that all department SOPs and protocols are up to date and amend when needed.
- Respect the schedules of others: determine whether problems can be handled independently, elevated or delegated. When something needs to be elevated, utilize email or text to notify others rather than dropping everything to get an answer and expecting others to do the same.
- Address issues with team members as they arise by providing constructive feedback on performance and behavior that is inconsistent with company standards. Document discussions and share with floor supervisors and HR. Examples of things that should be dealt with immediately:
- Rookwood policies
11. Promote positivity in the workplace.
It starts with YOU! You have the most impact on the employee’s experience within the workplace
Mold Room Equipment:
General listing: All need to be monitored, maintained, and furnished with replacement parts when necessary.
- Saws; Table, Band, Miter, Jig, Reciprocating
- Drill Press
- Heat Gun
- Vacuum Chamber
- Soldering Iron
- Welding Machine
- Angle Grinder
- Hydraulic Cart/Table
- Upraft ventilation
- Air movers
- Upright disc sander
- Upright Mixer
- Wet tile cutter
- Belt sander
- Plaster lathe
- Pneumatic vibrator
- In-line air water collector
- Hoist system
- Purge unit and HMI