Studio Potter- Part Time APPLY NOW
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Type: Full Time Position Available
The Rookwood Pottery Company is located in the bustling Over-the-Rhine neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio. Founded in 1880, Rookwood continues to build upon its rich heritage, creating the highest-quality pottery and tile in the United States. With a team of just over 60 employees, we are deeply committed to our mission: cultivating artistic inspiration, being active within our community, and balancing our legacy with forward-thinking momentum—ideas that are central to the Rookwood brand. We take pride in our process, our people, and our product; ultimately creating premier pieces with a story and a one-of-a-kind luxury experience that can only be Rookwood.
We are on the search for skilled potter, who thinks and creates outside the box, to join our talented hand- throwing team within Rookwood Studio. This team brings Rookwood’s treasured, one-of-a-kind pieces to life, producing innovative and quality forms with hand-applied textures/patterning that reflect Rookwood’s brand initiatives. As a hand-throwing potter, you will have the opportunity to collaborate closely with Rookwood artists and source inspiration from our 140-year-old archives and brand library of historical resources.
- Throwing the requested products in a timely manner at our standing wheels
- Fulfill pottery orders placed by the Retail Planner. Meet deadlines for filling the orders.
- Production Pottery
- Customer Interactions • Reporting
- Learning alongside the seasoned potters to achieve consistency across products
- Produce one-of-a-kind creative work that satisfies a theme
- Driving yourself to throw more efficiently to maximize quantity and quality of production
- Can take direction well, can switch gears with ease
- Excellent time management skills, can monitor drying stages throughout the ceramic process
- Embracing the open studio and responding to customer questions and comments appropriately during events
- Work, as needed, with Rookwood’s Marketing team to showcase and educating the customer about the Rookwood Pottery brand and production techniques
- Maintaining studio cleanliness and presentation to improve the customer experience
- Be a participant/representative in social media, demos, outreach programs, special events, etc.
ROOKWOOD POTTERY | 1920 RACE ST. CINCINNATI, OH 45202
- Attend all meetings, training and professional development sessions as requested by supervisor.
- Maintain supplies necessary for daily demonstrations and pottery production; keep records of production
- and materials used.
- Prior throwing experience required; candidates will show their wheel skills in an interview
- Glazing, and decorative techniques required.
- Familiarity operating the pugmill, spray gun, and electric kilns
- Ability to throw up to 12 inches in height with even walls
- An engaging and creative personality with excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently, without direct supervision as well as collaboratively as part of a team
- Reliability, dependability and punctuality
- Recording daily output in the production log as well as required company processes
- Maintain a timely schedule to meet inventory requirements
- Consistent communication with studio lead in regard to new pieces, challenges etc.
- Have a positive attitude and sense of humor
- Ability to lift 25 pounds daily
- Good hand-eye coordination and hand strength
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Willingness to work 40+ hours a week, possibly including weekends
Rookwood is a drug-free workplace. You must successfully pass a pre-employment background check and drug screen to be considered for this position.
How to apply:
Rookwood is an Equal Opportunity Employer
• Email email@example.com with your resume and cover letter.